Mastitis is blocked ducts causing inflammation of the breast tissue. In Australia, 20% of new mothers will suffer from it.
How To Spot Mastitis? -? The Warning Signs
- Hardened or red areas, or tender lumps in breast tissue
- Restricted milk flow on one side
How To Prevent Mastitis ? What You Can Do
- Encourage milk flow before the baby is born
- No underwire bras and wear loose fitting clothes
- Feed your baby when breasts are engorged
- Self-massage of breasts especially lower and outer quadrants
- Good hydration before and during feeding
Don?t Give Up!
- Its immensely important for your baby?s health
- Mastitis and crackled nipples are a ?minor bump in the road?
- There are over 200 known positive effects of breast feeding
- There is help available. Lactation consultants, Midwives, GPs
- 92% of women will have breastfeeding concerns in Days 1 to 4