If the quest for beauty motivates women, then beauty combined with science and total dedication to a holistic and healthy approach to beauty is what motivates Lisa Schmelzkopf. Her approach to skincare is grounded in scientific knowledge combined with a long-standing commitment to using only certified organic products in the creation of skin and body treatments.
Hydraflore does not contain natural essential oils which can be detrimental to the fetus. Hydraflore is 95% certified organic, 100% chemical-free and contains no allergic essential oils. This makes it ideal for use during pregnancy and for the baby during the first year. With the focus to looks after mum’s skin’s needs, whether it be strengthening a fragile skin or reducing redness and inflammation. Preventing ageing, fine lines and wrinkles, addressing hormonal breakouts and most of all prevention of stretch marks. Without all the nasties.
As an expectant mother, you’ve got a heightened awareness of what you eat, what you do and what you come into contact with. Your natural instinct is to protect your precious cargo. You would never knowingly poison yourself, nor would you use engine de-greaser to prevent stretch marks, antifreeze to wash off your makeup or drain cleaner to treat the signs of ageing…would you? Don’t be too quick to dismiss that question as being completely crazy. Please, for the sake of your health and the health of your baby, read on.
Every day, we women expose ourselves to around 200 insidious toxins. Poisonous chemicals from cleaning agents, sanitary products and skincare creams are absorbed through the largest organ in our body- our skin. These toxins, even in a mild form, build up over time, acuminating in our cells- gradually breaking down the immune system resulting in cancer, brain, liver and kidney disease and every parent’s worst fear; birth defects. With over 25,000 chemicals marketed without government intervention, regardless of tests, statistics and scientific evidence, it’s no wonder there is an epidemic of ADD, allergies, asthma, sinus problems and learning difficulties among today’s children.
Many women are aware of the foods and drinks to avoid during pregnancy and lactation, but when it comes to skincare products, many of us are not only unaware of the chemicals we are happily slathering over our skin, but are led to believe that these products are actually safe.
The ugly truth is that not only are these ‘beauty’ products far from safe, but these creams, lotions and serums are also slowly poisoning our bodies, speeding up the aging process and worst of all, are capable of causing irreparable damage to an unborn child. Even products claiming to be ‘natural’, ‘pure’, ‘organic’ and ‘additive free’ are allowed to contain a cocktail of chemicals. Why? Since 1938, the cosmetic industry was granted self-regulation. Unbelievably, nothing has changed. An unborn child is particularly susceptible to chemicals absorbed through a mother’s skin which is then passed into the bloodstream and on to the fragile fetus resulting in birth defects, allergies and even miscarriage.
My mission is not to scare or shock, but to educate and enlighten- giving you the ability to make an informed decision about your health and the health of your unborn baby.
Why choose Hydraflore?
The Hydraflore Paris skin and body range is 95% certified organic and is specifically formulated for expectant mothers and people with sensitive skin. It contains no allergenic essential oils which are extremely harmful to unborn babies. All of the products in this range contain Wild Rose Oil which is renowned for its regenerative and restoring properties- ideal for fighting signs of ageing, soothing and healing stretched or damaged skin.
What’s the difference between a certified organic product and a non-certified organic product?
Apart from the alphabet soup of nasty chemicals in non-certified products, ‘certified organic’ products are actually absorbed into the bloodstream, stimulating the lymphatic system (the bodies method of ridding the system of waste and toxins), as a posed to a synthetic product (any product that is not certified organic) which simply lies on the surface of the skin and, over time, builds up causing clogging, brown spots, blocking pores and actually does the reverse of what is promises- speeds up the aging process.
Don’t just rely on and believe what you read on the front of product packaging. Read the ingredients listed on the back of products and look out for any of the Toxic 12.
The Toxic 12:
Toxic substances such as Propylene Glycol (found in anti-freeze and coolant), Sodium Hydroxide (used to clean drains) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (a strong detergent) lurk in many common beauty and skin products, making their way into our bodies, slowly poisoning us. Below we’ve listed the most common toxic ingredients found in everyday products. These are called the ‘Toxic 12’ and we encourage you to read the ingredients on your various beauty, skin and personal care products and see how many of the toxic 12 you can find. We guarantee you won’t have to look very hard.
- Propylene Glycol or Butylene Glycol or Ethylene Glycol (found in antifreeze)
2. Sodium Hydroxide (found in drain cleaner)
3. Sodium Laureth Sulfate or Sodium Laurel Sulfate or Amonium Laureth Sulfate (these are strong detergents used in garage floor cleaners and engine de-greasers- found in 90% of beauty and personal care products that foam. Why? It’s the cheapest way to create foam. SLS is linked to eye damage, depression, skin irritation and even death)
4. DEA, MEA or TEA (Hormone disrupting chemicals with ties to cancer)
5. PEG: Polyethylene Glycol (This is a carcinogenic petroleum compound that reduces the skins natural moisture. Prolonged use seriously damages the skin. PEG has been linked to ALL forms of cancer. The higher the PEG content, the more toxic it becomes)
6. DMDM or UREA (these are preservatives that release formaldehyde which is used to manufacture resins and fertilizers)
7. Mineral Oil (another petroleum product that coats the skin like plastic wrap, disrupting the skin’s natural immune barrier and inhibiting its ability to breathe and absorb natural moisture. In addition, mineral oil attracts needed moisture from cells deep inside your skin. This means that cell renewal is slowed, collagen breaks down, and the connective tissue is destroyed. Normal cell development is slowed down and the skin ages prematurely when skin cells are robbed of moisture. Baby Oil is 100% mineral oil).
8. Triclosan (a synthetic antibacterial with a chemical structure similar to Agent Orange which was a code name for a herbicide developed for the military. It is registered as a pesticide by the EPA- Environmental Protection Authority)
9. Parabens- or any product that has ‘paraben’ as part of its name (a hormone-disrupting chemical)
10. Isopropyl Alcohol (ages and dries the skin promoting wrinkles and brown spots)
11. ED and C colour pigments (Synthetic colours from coal tar. They score the highest mark on the toxicity scale)
12. Fragrances (animal urine is commonly used to create the desired smell)
How do I know what skincare is actually safe and natural?
Look for logos such as the Bio Equitable logo displayed on our Hydraflore products and Ecocert displayed on our Centella products.
As a consumer, sorting fact from fiction and truth from lies can be challenging. Every year, billions of dollars are spent on convincing us that the beautifully packaged concoction of god-knows-what that’s endlessly endorsed by big-name celebrities will “transform your skin”, “change your life” or “make you look ten years younger”. Don’t be fooled. Arm yourself with this knowledge and make informed decisions about what you put on your skin and essentially, into your body. For a product to claim it is certified organic it must go through a stringent government-sanctioned inspection by an accredited organic certification organization. In Australia, all certified organic beauty products are certified to the same standard as food. For a product to be certified, 95% of all ingredients must be certified organic. The remaining 5% of ingredients are also bound by strict guidelines – they cannot be synthetic chemicals or artificially processed. Only truly organic products carry a logo such as ACO (Australian Certified Organic), COSMEBIO, Ecocert and USDA, making it easier for consumers to tell the difference between products claiming to be ‘organic’ and the real deal (thank goodness)
Only recently was a test released showing the discovery of a myriad of toxins in an umbilical cord with statistics showing that roughly 1 in 5 common skincare ingredients have links to birth defects. This has motivated Lisa to continue to find Day spas and skin clinics to only use Hydraflore certified organics skincare in their skin treatments and home care for their expecting mums and delicate skins.
Lisa is the founder of Schmelzkopf Cosmetics, an inspiring female entrepreneur, skin expert, educator, and skin therapist with over 23 years’ experience in the beauty industry. With a strong focus on Medical Grade and Certified Organic products, Lisa has earned a reputation for professionalism, skill, and unwavering determination to supplying only the very best, safest and most advanced products and services. Lisa continues to assist in establishing clinics, training and mentoring businesses and staff in areas of Medical Grade Certified Organic products, non-surgical facial procedures, and weight loss.