Bed wetting can become an issue in some households, upsetting children and disrupting sleep.
One way of addressing bed wetting is to remove the stress and anxiety of waking up wet by using an overnight pant to keep children feeling comfortable and dry, so they sleep through the night. It was with this intention, that BabyLove created SleepyNights ? a pant with a highly absorbent core drawing liquid away from the surface.
Midwife, maternal and child health expert Midwife Cath has collaborated with BabyLove on a range of tips to assist parents and their children through this natural stage of infant development.
?It?s not abnormal for infants to experience bed wetting,??says Midwife Cath. ?Children up to the age of 5 will often wet the bed, and it is not unusual for children after this age to continue to wet the bed occasionally.?
Her advice to help parents and their children through this stage of development is to create a bed time routine, not pressure children to use the toilet and to ensure children feel supported as they go through this stage.
Midwife Cath?s 6 Tips for Bed Wetting and Toilet Training
- Remember it is normal!??Communicate this to your child so they don?t feel upset, embarrassed or anxious
- Eliminate potential causes?of bed wetting such as intestinal worms or a urinary tract infection
- Bed time rituals. These can range from no drinks for 1 hour before bed, going to the toilet immediately before hopping under the sheets, and leaving a soft light in the bathroom so children feel safe visiting it
- Don?t reward children for using the loo.?This can place too much pressure on children
- Let children develop at their own stage.?They will have a bowel movement in a nappy and not like it
- Overnight pants.??Sleeping in?highly absorbent pants is a great transition between nappies and underwear, as they offer good protection and children learn to pull them down to use the toilet.
BabyLove?s advice on what to look for when choosing an overnight pant is:
- Choose a nappy pant that is specifically designed for ?overnight? for its higher absorbency
- A super absorbent core is paramount, as this will keep your infant feeling dry
- Leakage protection features such as stretchy leg guards for protection against leaks
- Soft and comfortable fit is important for all night wear and confidence.
?My advice to parents is to remember that children parented with anxiety, grow up with anxiety.? As a parent, we should try to be supportive and calm whilst our child navigates this natural stage of development. Each child will develop at their own stage, and girls tend to develop a little faster,? says Midwife Cath.
BabyLove SleepyNights suit children as young as two years of age and up to their mid-teens, and are available at key supermarkets, pharmacies and online.