Obstetrician Dr Andrew Pickering, believes that it’s all about women being free to choose what they want, every step of the way.
“At Northern Beaches Hospital Private Maternity, the obstetricians and midwives will help women and their families have the birth experience that they plan for,’ he said.
“Whether it’s birth with no intervention, water birth, or an abdominal birth (caesarean section), it’s about listening to what women want, respecting those choices and facilitating these options.
“No two pregnancies are the same. With mum and partner, we can decide how best to navigate the antenatal period, plan the birth and arrange support in the postnatal period.
“In my practice, I look after all aspects of women’s health during their pregnancy. I have experience in managing low and high-risk pregnancies, I focus on building a strong relationship and understanding of my patients’ wishes so we can help women achieve the birth that they envision,” Dr Pickering said, adding that, “Hand in hand with the great team at Northern Beaches Hospital, goes state-of-the-art facilities.
“The team of professionals here are first-rate, but so too are the facilities and accommodation.
“Every mum has a beautiful private room with ensuite and these are truly stunning rooms. Thanks to the smart design and acoustics, the environment is a comfortable, calm place for mums and families to enjoy those precious early days with baby.
“The birthing suite’s clever design allows us to blend expert medical care whilst maintaining a comfortable supportive, women-centred birthing space. All our rooms are complete with ensuite bathroom, television, wifi, speakers and aromatherapy. There’s a range of active birth accessories to choose from, including birthing balls and support rails, as well as wireless fetal monitoring equipment in the room and an adjustable birthing bed so women can experience their optimum birthing experience.
“The new Well Baby Nursery (staffed by midwives) for mums who need support caring for baby during their stay in hospital, and the huge, luxury birthing baths specially designed to facilitate safe water births are the latest fantastic additions to our service at Northern Beaches Hospital,” Dr Pickering added.
As a private patient, care at Northern Beaches Maternity means:
A team of experts
- Your choice of obstetrician
- Your Private Liaison Midwife throughout your pregnancy and birthing journey. During your personalised tour of the hospital, you’ll talk about your planned birthing experience and ask as many questions as you like
- Support from midwives in the Well Baby Nursery, further helping you in your parenting transition
- The Special Care Nursery is next to the private maternity ward. This means babies from 32 weeks needn’t be separated from mum when sent to a specialist hospital
- Access to paediatricians who can advise on baby’s care after birth
Your own private room
- Guaranteed private room with ensuite. It’s truly stunning accommodation with beautiful toiletries and all the little luxuries
- Pull out bed for partner to stay
- Hotel services so you can request change of laundry at any time
- Hotel style multi-course meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as morning and afternoon tea and supper. You’ll adore the food.
- Congratulations plate with freshly made macarons and chocolate dipped strawberries
- Celebrations high tea for you and your partner to feel overwhelmed
- Snack box with yummy treats like chocolates and fresh fruit for your stay
- Chilled food menu that you can access 24-7 including sushi, budha bowls and hot smoked salmon noodles. Because you never know when you’re a little peckish.
- Option to pay for gourmet meals for your partner
Lots of lovely extras
- Baby photographer to capture those important newborn moments
- Exclusive gift bag containing treats that mums just love
- Access to the Gidget Foundation for support with perinatal depression and anxiety
- You also have access to paid services such as antenatal parenting classes and more.
Got 5 minutes to spare? Take a look around the maternity space.
Put your feet up and take a stroll online through our birthing suite and maternity ward. Take a virtual tour here.
If you would like to visit in person with your partner or support person, email NBH.firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily give you a tour.
Booking in at Northern Beaches Hospital Private Maternity
Let’s make the first steps easy.
1. As soon as your pregnancy is confirmed by a GP, ask for a referral to Dr Pickering or one of our many obstetricians.
2. Check with your private health fund. Make sure you’re insured for obstetric care and that you understand the specifics of your cover. It’s a good idea to contact your private health fund at least three months prior to your due date, because you may need to add your baby to the cover.
3. As your obstetrician does not book you in, go to northernbeacheshospital.com.au/maternity and do it yourself – it’s a really easy process.
You will need the following information:
- Name of obstetrician
- Reason for admission (pregnancy)
- Health fund membership and policy details
- GP’s details
- Emergency contact details
- Medications information.
You’ll receive an email that confirms your booking. If you have any questions, please telephone 02 9105 6015.
Get in touch
For more information about private maternity services at Northern Beaches Hospital, including the Well Baby Nursery, water births or a tour, email NBH.email@example.com.