Lakanto, creators of the Natural No-Sugar Sweetener, has recently launched a new 1:1 brown sugar substitute, Brown Lakanto, in Australia.
The new brown sweetener is available in three different sizes – 225g, 450g, and a bulk 4kg package – and is now on shelves at Coles, Woolworths, and independent retailers.
Brown Lakanto is a sugar substitute that offers the molasses-like flavour profile of brown sugar without the guilt. With zero carbs and 93% fewer calories than sugar, this sweetener is ideal for any health-conscious lifestyle, including gluten-free, diabetic, ketogenic, candida, paleo, vegan, and low-carb diets.
All Lakanto Sweeteners are made up of non-GMO erythritol and Monk Fruit extract, with each granule of erythritol coated evenly in Monk Fruit extract to create the signature Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener. Unlike any product on the market, Lakanto Sweeteners are all-natural, whilst simultaneously maintaining consistency in their sweetness. The company says that this Brown Sweetener is no exception.
“Brown Lakanto is the perfect healthy alternative to classic brown sugar. You can have cakes, cookies, slices and even savoury dishes like curries – all without the sugar hangover!”
Lakanto products can be found at Coles, Woolworths, independent retailers, and on the company’s website at www.lakanto.com.au.
RECIPE: Golden Brown Ginger Bread Cake (97% Sugar Free)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour or spelt flour
- 2 1/2 tsps ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Lakanto Brown Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Baking Blend
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 1/3 cup Lakanto Bakers Vanilla Syrup
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Brown Monkfruit Sweetener
- 500g cream cheese room temp
- 1 cup butter room temp
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp orange juice optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g Lakanto Icing Powder
- Dehydrated blood orange
- Gingerbread crumbs
- Crystalized ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180C. (fan-forced)
- Lightly grease two 3 x 7″ springform pans and place parchment on the bottoms.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, spices, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir with whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment, beat together the butter and Brown Sweetener and Baking Blend until fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add in the orange zest, vanilla and Bakers Vanilla syrup. Mix well to combine.
- With mixer on low speed add the flour mixture in by spoonful’s alternately with the water, starting and ending with the flour. Mix just until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans, smoothing the tops.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Add all ingredients into small pan and bring to a simmer only until Brown Sweetener is dissolved. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla, orange juice and orange zest, mix well to combine.
- With mixer on low speed add in icing powder one spoonful at a time until well combined and completely mixed and creamy, about 3-5 minutes of mixing after all icing powder is added. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Place the first cake layer on the cake board/plate.
- Spread a large dollop of buttercream on top and spread evenly to the edges of the cake.
- Place next cake layer on top and spread with buttercream on top.
- Decorate with the toppings and pour the glaze on just before serving.