Northern Beaches Mums Group
Northern Beaches Mums Group

How to get assistance if you are experiencing domestic violence

A shove or a push, threats to your life or the lives of your children, dictating what you wear, how much you spend and who you can and can’t be friends with all equate to forms of domestic violence. No one should have to feel unsafe, but where can you go for assistance if you are experiencing domestic violence?

In an emergency, if your safety  or the safety of someone you know is in danger your first call should be to the police. Call ‘000’ and report it to the police. If you’re not in danger, but still need help there are a number of different organisations that can assist by providing advice, somewhere to stay or temporary financial help.

Have virtual lunch with a lawyer

Each weekday from 12pm to 1pm experienced family lawyers from Australia’s first non-profit law firm, New Way Lawyers, devote their lunch break to sharing legal information, answering all your family law related questions online within a private Facebook group lunch called ‘Lunch with a Lawyer’. Once part of the group, members can post legal questions on the group page or send questions via private message for no charge. The lawyers can then put you in the right direction to get the help you need.

Contact 1800RESPECT

1800RESPECT is the number you can dial to access 24-hour national sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line for any Australian who has experienced, or is at risk of, family and domestic violence and/or sexual assault. The organisation has also developed an app allowing victims of DV to access local services. Download the app called Daisy that allows you to search the internet without your results showing up in the browser. 

Financial Assistance

There are options for financial help if you need the access to funds to escape your DV situation. Go to or or contact the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007, Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm. Grants for financial assistance are available in certain circumstances for Australian residents and services such as the Red Cross provide programs for financial support for those on temporary and permanent visas escaping violence. Talk to your service provider for more information about accessing a grant for financial assistance. If you are on a permanent or temporary visa and are requiring financial assistance to escape violence, go to

Domestic Violence Connect Refuge Centres

Refuges for individuals experiencing or at risk of domestic violence can be found by simply contacting 1800RESPECT and DV connect on 1800 811 811, 24 hours, 7 days. Generally, addresses are not available on the internet for privacy and safety of those seeking refuge so it is important to contact 1800RESPECT or DV Connect to be linked in with the right support for your situation.