As a busy mum, one of my top priorities is ensuring that my family’s meals are healthy and nourishing. However, with a packed schedule and endless commitments, finding the time to prioritise healthy eating can sometimes be a challenge.
If you’re looking for new ways to engage your kids in living a healthy lifestyle, eating fresh food, and enjoying time outdoors, check out these local options on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.
Explore Farmer’s Markets for Fresh and Healthy Ingredients
Children’s sports or social catchups can often dominate our weekends, but visiting a local farmers market can be a rewarding experience for the whole family if you can manage to carve out some time.
Allocate 30 minutes for meal planning beforehand, and don’t forget to include your kids — let them choose a meal for the family and then pick out the ingredients at the market. Have a game plan for when you get there but be open to discovering something new — local produce markets on the Northern Beaches offer a treasure trove of fresh and healthy ingredients.
Here are a few must-visit local Sydney markets that combine convenience and quality:
- Manly Fresh Produce Market (Sundays): This bustling market is a haven for locally sourced fruits, vegetables and organic products. Take advantage of their Sunday schedule to stock up on fresh ingredients for the week ahead.
- The Beaches Market (Sundays): There are currently four vibrant markets running in Warriewood, Palm Beach, Lane Cove and Dee Why that bring together local farmers and artisans. Check the website for details, including which Sunday of the month each market runs, and plan your trip to explore the diverse selection of fresh produce and gourmet treats that will help you create wholesome meals for your family.
- Seaforth (Sundays): Discover unique and seasonal produce at the Seaforth market or check out the Mona Vale market; both are part of the Organic Food Markets.
- Manly Village Public School (3rd Saturday of the month): You’ll find an impressive collection of approximately 100 stores at this market offering a diverse range of unique treasures and specialty crafts. From homemade jams to fresh nuts, there’s something for every taste.
- Narrabeen (3rd Sunday of the month): Enjoy browsing fresh produce, crafts, cooked food and drinks at this vibrant market. Discover new ingredients to inspire your culinary adventures and create nutritious meals for your family.
Once you’re home with your fresh bounty, spend some time preparing the produce and meal prepping. A few hours on the weekend will set you up for the busy week ahead, and it’s simply a matter of heating and serving once you start to hear the familiar cries of ‘I’m hungry!’ after school.
Fun Activities for Families on the Northern Beaches that Promote Healthy Living
Promoting healthy living and eating to your kids is not just about getting them to eat all the vegetables on their dinner plates. It can be an exciting and educational experience for the whole family on the weekend. Luckily, the Northern Beaches of Sydney offer some great spots to head with the kids.
New Leaf Nursery, Ingleside
For a unique experience, explore this family-friendly nursery in our area. Not only can you purchase fresh eggs and produce, but your little ones can also get hands-on with activities like petting the chickens and selecting their own herbs and veggies to plant at home. It’s a wonderful way to connect with nature, teach your kids where their food comes from, and instil a love for fresh and healthy ingredients.
Stony Range Regional Botanic Garden, Dee Why
Escape to the garden oasis of the Stony Range Regional Botanic Garden on Sydney’s Northern Beaches. Explore native plants, delight in vibrant spring displays, and enjoy quality family time amidst picturesque surroundings. There are walking tracks to enjoy, including a sensory track where signs point to plants you can touch, taste and smell to experience the Australian bush in a new way. Pack a healthy homemade picnic or use the barbecue facilities within the garden.
Time-Saving Hacks for Healthy Meals
Sometimes we find ourselves racing against the clock and losing, no matter how hard we try. We didn’t get to the supermarket or have time to meal prep, and ordering a takeaway is looking more attractive by the second. However, there are easy ways to ensure your family is still eating nutritious and wholesome meals while saving you time and cutting some corners.
Why Busy Parents Should Try Meal Kits
If you’ve never tried a meal kit before, click here to read how they can save you time and money and get the kids involved in the kitchen. Whether you’re ordering just one meal or planning for an entire week, the key is to maximise your efforts and minimise stress. While convenience is great, be mindful of what meals you order, as there are healthier everyday options and special occasion meals to choose from.
How Meal Delivery Services Can Help Busy Mums
Meal kits are great for eliminating the shopping and meal prep part of a meal, but sometimes time-poor mums are just looking for a meal to appear on the plate magically. Meal delivery services are a convenient option for busy parents who still want to feed their families healthy and nutritious meals. Services like Gourmet Dinner Services provide fresh, chef-prepared meals using real ingredients delivered to your door. The best part is they offer a range of family-friendly, healthy meal options, saving you precious time in the kitchen without compromising on quality or taste. It’s like having your own personal chef, which, let’s face it, is every mum’s dream!
The Balancing Act: Prioritising Healthy Eating in a Busy Life
Finding the time to cook and prioritise healthy eating can be challenging when juggling kids, work, school duties, sports, and your social life. However, with a bit of planning and a willingness to try new things, you can prioritise delicious and nutritious meals without sacrificing too much time and effort — it can even be fun! Making small adjustments and being open to new ideas can help you successfully maintain a healthy lifestyle despite a busy schedule. Don’t let the daily chaos discourage you — embrace the challenge and enjoy nourishing yourself and your family.