Once again we are designing our New Year’s resolutions. However, let’s take a quick step back first, and consider how long the resolutions for this year lasted? Did they make you happy? Did you get what you wanted from them? Or did your 2021 New Year’s resolutions make you feel inadequate? Hungry? Like a failure?
How did you decide that that particular resolution was worth doing? Do you think you should be skinnier, despite the scale informing you that you’re healthy? Did you decide that you were going to participate in a certain diet because you think you should? Are you overly concerned with how you look and what other people think of you, and is that contributing to what you think you “should” be, do, or achieve?
Let us tell you right now – you do not need to be skinny to be happy. Happiness is a state of being, of feeling satisfied with your life and yourself.
What it is not:
- Being a certain size.
- Achieving a certain goal.
- Looking a certain way.
The idea that “when I achieve X, then I’ll be happy” has been disproved over and over again. In fact, you’re more likely to achieve X if you’re happy in the first place!
So this year, let’s spend a moment designing a New Year’s Resolution that will make you happy, just as you are!
It is possible to:
- Be healthy and overweight.
- Be confident with cellulite.
- Feel happy, or satisfied with your life, while earning minimum wage.
We have to change our mindset to achieve this.
Rather than setting goals this year, let’s set objectives that contribute to your mental health, confidence, self-esteem, and self-worth – just as you are. Some examples include:
- I will eat 2 pieces of fruit/5 serves of veggies everyday (to boost your nutrition, so you feel different).
- I will meditate everyday (which will do wonders for your brain and nervous system).
- I will do Yoga every week (see above, and add benefits to your balance, flexibility, and stability).
- I will start working with a counsellor (and do what they tell you to do).
- I will keep a gratitude journal.
- I will get outside everyday.
All of these goals will help you feel/move/do/be better… They all contribute in some way to your physical, emotional, spiritual, and/or mental health. New Year’s resolutions like these will help you to LIVE better, feel better, and ultimately, live a happier and more fulfilling life.
Clare Hozack is an ex-athlete and owner and founder of IntoYou. Clare is currently a strength and conditioning coach, using her skills to return women to functionality after having kids, and providing education for personal trainers in how to train women better for life.