For some couples, the journey to parenthood is smooth sailing. For the one in six Australian couples encountering infertility issues however, falling pregnant is often a monumental challenge.
Australian couples are increasingly turning to assisted reproductive technologies such as IVF. In fact, since the early 90s, Australia has seen an almost four-fold increase in the number of IVF cycles.
conceivepleaseTM Fertility Kit, Australia?s first holistic pregnancy planning kit, developed by local fertility experts, is now available online and in pharmacy nation-wide, to offer couples valuable information, knowledge and tools to help kick-start their journey to natural conception.
The conceivepleaseTM Fertility Kit includes:
- The ?Getting Pregnant Naturally? booklet ? full of useful evidence-based information on reproductive health, diet, exercise, ideal body mass index (BMI), correctly timed sexual intercourse and lifestyle modifications, such as smoking cessation and limiting alcohol intake.
- An instructional DVD ? providing guidance on how to get the most benefit from the kit.
- ?His? and ?her? prenatal vitamins to ensure the body is supplemented with the recommended dose of nutrients, vitamins and minerals for a healthy pregnancy and beyond.
- Tools and indicators to pinpoint ovulation, so you can accurately determine your most fertile time for conception. It?s surprisingly easy to miscalculate this fertile window, without accounting for individual differences. This can be tracked using a fertility calendar, a digital thermometer and ovulation sticks. And, yes you guessed it, all three items are included in the kit.
- Pregnancy testing sticks, which you can use in the privacy of your own home.
- A complementary meditation CD to guide you on a stress-free fertility journey.
Nine top tips for natural conception
The conceivepleaseTM Fertility Kit arms couples with a wealth of information on how to become ?fertility fit?. Here are our nine top tips on how to improve your chance of falling pregnant naturally.
- Make an appointment to see your doctor?to rule out any pre-existing medical concerns that may impact your fertility.
An antenatal check-up will include a:
- Review of your medical history
- Review any prescription or OTC medications
- Blood test to screen for pre-existing medical concerns.
- Start taking a prenatal multivitamin.
The World Health Organization (WHO) and Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) recommend all women considering, or trying to conceive, take a vitamin supplement containing folic acid and iodine.
The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) recommends all women who are trying to conceive, pregnant or breastfeeding take a 150 microgram iodine supplement each day.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet.
A well-balanced diet will help to ensure that you are nourishing your body with the right blend of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It will also help to keep your weight at an optimum.
- Achieve an optimal BMI.
The ideal?BMI is between 20 and 24. Studies have shown that maintaining a healthy weight for both men and women can improve your chances of conceiving naturally.
- Understand your menstrual and ovulation cycles.
Having a thorough understanding of your menstrual cycle, ovulation and most fertile time is critical to natural conception.
Four methods can help to detect your most fertile window ? monitoring of basal body temperature; testing for a luteinising hormone (LH) surge in a urine sample; monitoring cervical secretions; and monitoring for secondary fertility signs. All of these methods are clearly explained and can be tracked and tested with the conceiveplease? Fertility Kit.
- Regular sexual intercourse.
It is recommended that couples have sexual intercourse two-to-three times per week.
- Stop smoking.
Smoking has been shown to have a detrimental effect on reproduction and egg and sperm quality.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
Alcohol also causes direct damage to egg and sperm quality and can harm the growing foetus. Zero alcohol consumption is recommended during pregnancy.
- Get plenty of rest.
Plenty of rest and recuperation is important for reproductive health, fertility and pregnancy.
The conceivepleaseTM Fertility Kit acts as a one-stop fertility shop, comprising a clinically-proven, holistic, four-step plan with supporting products and medical devices to aid male and female fertility, by helping couples to start or extend a family through natural conception, or to nurture an ongoing pregnancy. The kit is available in pharmacies and online.?To learn more about how to fall pregnant naturally, head to www.conceivplease.com.
Written for Northern Beaches Mums.