Gear up for a fun filled day at the 2022 Sustainability Festival on Sunday 5 June to Celebrate World Environment Day. The aim is to promote sustainable living, waste reduction, biodiversity of the natural habitats and resilience in our community.
This fun family event never fails to draw a crowd and this year is expected to be the biggest event yet!
Win a Sustainable Goody Pack!
To give you that extra encouragement to stick to the cause, they’re giving away a goody pack (valued at $200) to help you live more sustainably.
To enter the competition, visit the City of Ryde Facebook page and on the competition post, leave your best sustainability tip in the comments section. Entries must be 25 words or less.
The competition will close on Wednesday 1 June and the winner will be announced at the Sustainability Festival on Sunday 5 June. Make sure you arrive in time for the announcement at 11am on the day!
From the Stage
Join local guru Margaret Mossakowska from Moss House for Plastic-free Living demos at 10:15am and 12.30pm and Edible Gardening demos at 11:30am and 1.15pm.
Join in for the welcome to country presented by Dr Jo Anne Rey at 11.00am and Mayor’s speech at 11:15am.
Sustainable Waste 2 Art Workshops
Unleash your creativity at the SWAP tent with hands-on workshops running every half hour. Make your own individual art piece from a collection of eclectic waste items including haberdashery, fabric, paper and plastics. This workshop is a hit for all age groups. Places will be limited so book in for your session on arrival.
Insect Hotel Workshops
Come by and check out Australian Environmental Education’s What’s in Your Backyard display with hands-on resources and activities or come and ‘Make your own insect hotel’ workshop every half hour. Places will be limited so book your session in on arrival.
#ResilientRyde, State Emergency Services (SES) and Australian Red Cross will be conducting three #ResilientRyde workshops at the festival. Learn how to create a plan and kit for emergencies. Participants will receive a goodie bag and go in the draw to win a $100 shopping voucher. Pre-registrations via Eventbrite are essential. Workshops will be held at 10.30am, 11.30am and 12.30pm.
Stormwater Shepherds Workshop
Go on a journey to examine health issues affecting aquatic lifeforms from our polluting habits and discuss solutions for long-term sustainable approaches to successfully controlling stormwater pollution and how you can all participate. Questions are welcome and plastic-free products will be available to purchase. Workshops at 10.30am, 12.00pm and 1.00pm. Pre-registrations available.
Fix ‘n Ride Workshop
Support sustainable transport and ride your bicycle down to Tuckwell Park, visit the Fix ‘n Ride van for a free bicycle check. Fix ‘n Ride will be holding Bicycle maintenance workshops at 10.00am and 1.00pm.
Compost Connection Workshops
Drop by to ask questions about your specific composting journey or join for one of the short workshops on making your own potting mix or fertiliser and growing veggies on balconies.
Activities and Stalls
- Dive in to explore the undersea web of life, including the fish on your dish at the Ocean Action Pod stall. Join in engaging and interactive activities to learn how you can reduce your plastic footprint for the health of the ocean and all the sea creatures and seabirds who depend on it.
- Visit the Australian Wildlife Display and see what fun, furry and scaly creatures have come to say hi.
- Discover the Wonders of Water at Sydney Water’s mobile education vehicle as we journey through the urban water cycle and try for the high score on an exploration through Sydney’s water pipes video game
- Visit the Home Waste and Sustainability stall for a quick individually catered assessment to reduce costs in your home. Available to City of Ryde residents only. Free gift with assessment while stocks last. Bring with you a copy of your latest electricity, gas, and water bills.
- Bring the kids along to the Wild Kindy Markets stall for some engaging eco craft activities. Nature play resources will be available for purchase.
- Other fun activities will include giant yard games, face painting, Tzu Chi games space, photo opportunity at the PluckFastic Art installations, charge your phones and sanitise your hands at the SUNECO solar charging station, visit the NDIS chill out tent, SES truck and Hyundai electric vehicles.
- Information stalls include the Australian Conservation Foundation, Citizens’ Climate Lobby Australia, Cumberland Bird Observers Club, Easy Care Gardening, Henley Green Community Garden, Oz Harvest, Parramatta River Catchment Group, Permaculture Sydney North, The Habitat Network and the City of Ryde’s Waste, Bushcare, Weeds Awareness and Transport teams.
- Live Music by Coral Igyarto 10am-12 and Music duo Ryan Collings and Nathan Stephenson from 12-2pm.
- They’ll also have flora and sauna, shield yourself and one little spout market stalls with sustainable products and food trucks with reusable crockery, cutlery and drinkware.
Regular public busses are available from Waterloo Road outside Macquarie Centre. A short walk from the Macquarie University Metro Station. There are two bus stops near Tuckwell park one on Fontenoy road and the other on Lane cove road opposite Eden Gardens. Please check timetables for more information.
Limited parking also is available in the surrounding streets in the area.
Bring with you a reusable water bottle, and coffee cup, and picnic rug.
This event is proudly supported by Love Macquarie Park and Hyundai.